Monday 16 April 2012

Read all about it! Bundana goes berserk with stash

Enough hoarding and keeping, time to get minimalistic on my fabric stash and start using up, up UP


I bought 3 Colette patterns last month and now they are going to get their asses MADE!

3 dresses, 3 weeks... allows me to buy more fabric as I will have precious little left. Everyone is a winner!

Let me know what you think of the colour combinations. Honest advice is always welcome here. I am a ginger (and proud) remember, sometimes I am a bit over ambitious with my colours that I decide that I can wear.... even though by some pictures of previous outfits I have seen myself in, a little more honesty in my life wouldn't have gone amiss! Here are the colour combinations that I have made for them, no deliberation... just sewing. Sunday was spent wrestling with the eternal Bombshell mess dress, but I need some quick(ish) fixes to keep my proverbial sewing pecker up... and these seem like just the ticket!

I've made a plan for my 'Eclectic Eclair'

Green for the main fabric and that ditsy floral print for the contrast sash, nice and should be appropriately dress-up and downable, as my wardrobe should always be i.e. able to be worn with flats and dressed up with some mean heels.






Here is the fabric and the notions (button less at present) for my 'Partay Parfait'. This fabric print reminds me of a beach print with a touch of Chinese influence. I likey. I've also had for too longy. Must sewy and enjoy-ee. OK, stop now.

What colour buttons do you think for the 6 x 3/4" buttons that are used in this pattern? I was thinking Pink or Blue.... let me know some thoughts, if you like

Finally, this is my Caffy de Crepe.... a fine and strong dress... ready for my mean blue heels that I have had my eye on or the brown of the contrast fabric will allow me to wear my (too many) brown sandals and shoes ('Brown Caffy never really died- see Winkerton Flasher entry for what I mean).



































So folks, during these light evenings... you know where I'll be... working on my kitchen table tracing the life of these three on my reliable (and cheap) parchment paper, cutting into my stash and making pretty dresses. This should lighten up my mood from the weekend task of 'The Bombshell Sesssions'. 
Now, don't get me wrong- I am loving doing that dress. However, that dress reminds me that I am a baby in this dressmaking industry, I know nothing- but I am adoring the learning! Dresses like the Colette dresses make me feel like I have made really loads of progress. Slight difference there. I am hoping that the Colette trilogy is the 'ying' to my Bombshell 'yang'.


In other news:

  • I am writing away for my Abakhan article #2
  • Colette Sewing Handbook is on order... yipee!



Bundana

X






13 comments:

  1. Exciting dress plans! Sounds like you've found a good way to keep a balance and not get to feeling burnt out over your bombshell...learning process! I've found I definitely like to alternate projects - after a hard or long sewing project, I always gravitate toward something quick and simple next.
    Also, I vote for blue buttons for your Parfait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know what you mean TOTALLY!

      I am avoiding the burn-out lull!

      I'm leaning towards the blue buttons, I think that will be coolio! Thanks for your comments :D

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous combos! I esp. love the middle one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to get traced out and get cracking. Pfff, takes soooo long. WHEN I win the lottery, I am buying a super-duper photocopier... because I can and also so I can print and CUT patterns without feeling guilty!

      Delete
  3. Blue buttons (but then blue's one of my fave colours so I really am incredibly biased!)

    Looks like you're going to busy! I can't wait to see these all finished up, I'm loving the combos and think you'll be able to pull off each and every one of them. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woop!

      Blue Buttons 1.... Other colours... 0

      I like being busy, with sewing that is! Just need some shoes to match... Mister eBay!

      Delete
  4. I love the blue dress, and the pattern! I like the green and flowery combo. Your second choice is great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my lovely :D

      As I said, I do DO dressed up.. but my dressed need to be dressed down with flats/ converse/ sandals too :D Lady of leisure, me. How are you getting on?

      Delete
  5. I love the green & floral one. That would be a pretty dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crissy and hello :D

      Hope I make it as nice as it looks all nice and folded... hahaha!

      Delete
  6. If I was making that gorgeous dress, I would wait until it was almost complete and then take it to the shop to choose buttons. More than once I picked out buttons at the beginning of a project and then changed my mind when the time came to sew them on. Love the parfait fabric to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I do love your Party Parfait fabric! Hmm, buttons... I'd be tempted to go for some the same colour as your zip - a nice mustardy yellow. I reckon they'd contrast well. Can't wait to see the final result! sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Eclair fabric choices, it's a really pretty floral print.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment!